- The Council of State Governments. Annual. The Book of the States. Lexington: The Council of State Governments. [free PDFs]
- Haider-Markel, Donald P. 2014. The Oxford Handbook of State and Local Government. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Connor, George E., and Christopher W. Hammons, eds. 2008. The Constitutionalism of American States. Columbia: University of Missouri Press.
- Dinan, John J. 2006. The American State Constitutional Tradition. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas.
- Dinan, John. 2018. State Constitutional Politics: Governing by Amendment in the American States. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Levinson, Sanford. 2012. Framed: America’s Fifty-One Constitutions and the Crisis of Governance. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Maddex, Robert. State Constitutions of the United States. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- Marks, Thomas, Jr., and John F. Cooper. 2003. State Constitutional Law in a Nutshell. St. Paul: West Academic Publishing.
- Sutton, Jeffrey S. 2018. 51 Imperfect Solutions: States and the Making of American Constitutional Law. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Sutton, Jeffrey S. 2022. Who Decides?: States as Laboratories of Constitutional Experimentation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Tarr, G. Alan. 1998. Understanding State Constitutions. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Williams, Robert F. 2009. The Law of American State Constitutions. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Woodward-Burns, Robinson. 2021. Hidden Laws: How State Constitutions Stabilize American Politics. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Benson, Jocelyn F. 2016. State Secretaries of State: Guardians of the Democratic Process. London: Routledge.
- Kousser, Thad, and Justin H. Phillips. 2012. The Power of American Governors: Winning on Budgets and Losing on Policy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Leal, David L. 2006. Electing America’s Governors: The Politics of Executive Elections. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Rosenthal, Alan. 2013. The Best Job in Politics: Exploring How Governors Succeed as Policy Leaders. Thousand Oaks: CQ Press.
- Clark, Jennifer Hayes. 2017. Minority Parties in U.S. Legislatures: Conditions of Influence. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Harden, Jeffrey J. 2016. Multidimensional Democracy: A Supply and Demand Theory of Representation in American Legislatures. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Harden, Jeffrey J., and Justin H. Kirkland. 2018. Indecision in American Legislatures. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Herrick, Rebekah L. 2011. Representation and Institutional Design. Lanham: Lexington Books.
- Hird, John A. 2005. Power, Knowledge, and Politics: Policy Analysis in the States. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Kury, Franklin L. 2014. Why Are You Here?: A Primer for State Legislators and Citizens. Lanham: University Press of America.
- Lovrich, Nicholas P., Francis A. Benjamin, John C. Pierce, and William D. Schreckhise, 2021. Outside Looking in: Lobbyists’ Views on Civil Discourse in U.S. State Legislatures. Pullman: Washington State University Press.
- National Conference of State Legislatures. 2020. Mason’s Manual of Legislative Procedure. Denver: National Conference of State Legislatures. [Publisher]
- Powell, Lynda W. 2012. The Influence of Campaign Contributions in State Legislatures: The Effects of Institutions and Politics. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Rosenthal, Alan. 2004. Heavy Lifting: The Job of the American Legislature. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- Rosenthal, Alan. 2009. Engines of Democracy: Politics and Policymaking in State Legislatures. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- Squire, Peverill, and Keith E. Hamm. 2005. 101 Chambers: Congress, State Legislatures, and the Future of Legislative Studies. Columbus: Ohio State University Press.
- Squire, Peverill, and Gary Moncrief. 2020. State Legislatures Today: Politics under the Domes. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Cohen, Jeffrey E., ed. 2006. Public Opinion in State Politics. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Gray, Virginia H., Russell L. Hanson, and Thad Kousser, 2018. Politics in the American States: A Comparative Analysis. Thousand Oaks: CQ Press.
- Moncrief, Gary F., and Peverill Squire. 2021. Why States Matter: An Introduction to State Politics. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Niemi, Richard G., and Joshua J. Dyck, eds. 2014. CQ Press Guide to State Politics and Policy. Thousand Oaks: CQ Press.